Most people buy a Premium LinkedIn™ account to enable them to send InMail message to people with whom they are NOT connected. However, in our (and many of our fellow professionals) experience, InMail is beginning to be ignored—simply because it is InMail. It signals to the recipient that you do not have any other way to reach them on LinkedIn.
Do NOT Purchase a Premium Account Simply for InMail*
That being said, there are several important reasons why you SHOULD consider investing in a Premium LinkedIn account if you are interested in social selling.
1. See a complete list of who has viewed your profile. Remember, in the social selling process, potential buyers are out there looking for you. You need to build a customer-centric profile that will get you found by your prospective buyers on LinkedIn.
2. See full profiles of everyone on LinkedIn up to 3rd degree connections. The Basic account limits the ability to view full profiles to just 2nd degree connections. 3rd degree connections vastly amplify your network.
3. Ability to set your profile as an ‘open profile’ so that anyone on LinkedIn can see your profile…remember social selling = prospects out there looking for you.
4. Premium search filters. These help you identify the exact prospects for whom you are looking as part of the social selling process. In our opinion, Groups, Seniority Level, and Company Size are the most important filters and are available in the first upgraded Business version of the Premium account. The ability to filter your searches by Groups is one of the most important reasons that justify investing in a Premium account. We’ll show you why in our Social Selling Workshop.
LinkedIn makes it easy to upgrade your account. Simply click on the ‘Upgrade’ button below the tiny thumbnail on your profile photo in the upper right-hand corner of your LinkedIn profile. You can find a tutorial for your account by clicking on this photo which will show a drop-down menu that includes “Account Tutorial.”
* In our Social Selling workshop, we will show you how to connect with almost anyone without using InMail by fine-tuning your LinkedIn networking strategy.